For anyone looking to travel, volunteering abroad is a wonderful way to see some of the most beautiful parts of the world whilst also giving something back to society and/or the environment. The opportunities to get involved in projects are vast and with such a variety of worthwhile causes there is something for everyone and places where you can use any of your skills to great effect. Here are some examples which illustrate exactly what types of things are out there if you are considering international volunteer programs:
- Building Project in Fiji – Helping local villages to construct rainwater collection systems and vegetable gardens to enhance self-sufficiency and improve the overall quality of life. Fiji is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque parts of the world
- Teaching in Nepal – Gain valuable experience while making a significant difference in young children’s lives in this stunning part of the world.
- Marine Conservation in the Seychelles – You could be involved in vital marine work alongside a group of fellow volunteers gaining unique experience which could propel you into a long term career.
- Sports in South Africa – Utilise your hobbies by giving underprivileged children the chance to enjoy sports such as football, basketball and tennis.
- Conservation in Costa Rica – The chance to join experienced conservation and research teams in the rainforests of Costa Rica who are trying to understand and tackle the many issues faced here.
This really is just the tip of the iceberg, whichever part of the world you would like to see you are sure to find numerous volunteer projects with which you can get involved.
Sustainability is at the forefront of all these programs, and this makes them a great peace corps alternative, and it is the volunteers which make the difference. You can be involved for as long a period as you want, and the great benefit of volunteer vacations is that you also get to explore and uncover all that these locations have to offer. And the fact that you will be doing so with fellow volunteers and likeminded travellers makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable.
Image by Visions Service Adventures